Full-time Lecturer - Landscape Architecture
Full-time Lecturer - Landscape Architecture
California Polytechnic State University
The Landscape Architecture (LA) Department in the College of Architecture & Environmental Design at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, is seeking applicants for a full-time lecturer position beginning September 13, 2021. The position requires a commitment for one academic year of full-time teaching with an opportunity to be reappointed for one additional year. Salary and teaching assignments commensurate with qualifications and experience.
1. A master’s or doctoral degree in landscape architecture or a related and complementary field. Where the master’s or doctoral degree is in a related or complementary field, the candidate shall have an undergraduate or master’s degree in landscape architecture and shall have evidence of experience in landscape architecture practice.
2. Evidence of potential for excellence in university-level teaching.
3. Evidence of potential for ongoing professional development that will keep the faculty member current with the profession of landscape architecture
4. Demonstrable commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
1. 5 years or more of professional experience relevant to the teaching areas for which the candidate is applying;
2. Landscape Architecture License or demonstrated progress in the licensure process.
Primary responsibilities will be to teach in one or more of the following core subject areas:
* Design fundamentals studios;
* Site engineering and construction; construction design studios
* Computer and hand graphics and communication including AutoCAD, Sketch-Up, and the Adobe Creative Suite;
* History of Landscape Architecture;
* Landscape ecology, California native plant communities, natural and cultural systems analysis and design and;
* Capstone/Senior Project design studios
Candidates with expertise in social justice design and/or sustainability and resilient design are encouraged to apply. Faculty who are planning an academic leave during 2021-22 are also strongly encouraged to apply.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly’s values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Note: Cal Poly cannot deny an applicant a position solely or in part due to a criminal conviction history until it has performed an individualized assessment and linked the relevant conviction history with specific job duties in the position being sought. Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo will not sponsor an H-1B for this position.
Please note: Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to Cal Poly or individuals in the university community.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Landscape Architecture Department at Cal Poly is dedicated to providing the highest quality educational experience for its students within a changing world and profession. The five-year curriculum for the Bachelor of Landscape Architecture degree is characterized by faculty who assist students to become independent learners and responsible for their education. Our diverse faculty creates a learning environment shared with over 200 students in the department and within the College of Architecture and Environmental Design with approximately 2,300 students divided among five departments: Architectural Engineering, Architecture, City and Regional Planning, Construction Management, and Landscape Architecture. The program emphasizes the integration of general education and art and design with the understanding of natural and social systems in various environmental settings. Our goal is to develop leaders in the profession.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must attach (1) a cover letter, (2) resume/curriculum vitae, 3) unofficial transcripts from highest degree earned (official transcript will be required prior to appointment) 4) statement of teaching philosophy, 5) statement of approach to working with individuals from diverse backgrounds, 6) a portfolio of teaching materials including syllabi, assignments and student work example in the areas requesting to teach, 7) three professional references with names and email addresses when completing the online faculty application. Review of applications will begin June 7, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Type : ""
Education Level : ""
Experience Level : ""
Job Function : ""