UNIVERSITY PROFILE: Mississippi State University is a public, land-grant university whose mission is to provide access and opportunity to students from all sectors of the state’s diverse population, as well as from other states and countries, and to offer excellent programs of teaching, research, and service. The Carnegie Foundation designates Mississippi State University as a Doctoral/Extensive Institution for the Advancement of Teaching.
Mississippi State University forms part of a cohesive town-university community with the growing city of Starkville. Located in the eastern part of north-central Mississippi, the university is 125 miles northeast of Jackson, 2 hours west of Birmingham, AL, and 2 hours southeast of Memphis, TN.; it is served by Highways 82, 12, and 25 and by feeder air service through the Golden Triangle Regional Airport, 14 miles east. The community enjoys many intellectual, cultural and recreational advantages: the MSU-Starkville Civic Symphony and Chorus; the Starkville Farmers’ Market; the Starkville Community Theater; the University Lyceum series, bringing professional musical, dramatic, and artistic groups and performers to the campus; art exhibits, plays, and recitals by local and visiting artists; public radio and public television programs through Mississippi Public Broadcasting performances by popular musical groups of regional and national celebrity; frequent intercollegiate athletic events in modern facilities; and a variety of recreational opportunities on playing fields and courts, the Noxubee Wildlife Refuge, and lakes along the nearby Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway.
DEPARTMENT PROFILE: The mission of the Mississippi State University Department of Landscape Architecture is to foster the will and ability to plan, design, build, and manage regenerative communities. The department offers three degree programs: a 4-year Bachelor of Landscape Architecture, first and second professional Master of Landscape Architecture, and a B.S. in Landscape Contracting and Management. Our department is a recognized national leader within the discipline. We are at the forefront of addressing many critical issues, including service-learning, water resources, green infrastructure, and the planning, design and development of healthy, resilient communities.
To learn more about the Department of Landscape Architecture at Mississippi State University, please visit our website at www.lalc.msstate.edu.
POSITION: Nine-month, tenure track position.
• Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in the landscape architecture and landscape contracting and management programs.
• Develop and maintain a scholarly/creative research agenda in an area of expertise through peer reviewed publications, presentations, design competitions, books, and/or awards.
• Serve on graduate thesis committees for MLA students as well as departmental, college, and university committees.
• Other duties as necessary for the effective operation of the department.
• Terminal degree in landscape architecture or allied disciplines with at least one professional degree in landscape architecture from an accredited program.
• A record of successful teaching or demonstrated potential for teaching in a university program.
• Evidence of peer-reviewed scholarly/creative research, such as publications, presentations, design competitions, books, and awards.
• Capable of teaching in design, construction, and contracting sequences.
• Award-winning experience in a professional office.
• Having a license in landscape architecture or landscape contracting, or qualifications to be licensed.
DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Submissions will be reviewed starting on January 15th with invitations for interviews soon after. The start date for the position is August 2021.
SALARY: Salary competitive with parallel positions at peer institutions.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING: All applicants must apply online at https://www.msujobs.msstate.edu
and include a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, professional and/or teaching portfolio, three references, and their contact information. For questions regarding the position contact Associate Professor, Cory Gallo, Department of Landscape Architecture, at email@example.com.
Mississippi State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal employment Opportunity Employer.